Saturday, November 20

Dream Job

Inspired by a post on my brother's blog (I'll link to it if he says it's okay...), I thought I'd write a little about my dream job. 

Let's face it, work is work these days.  I work because my family needs the income.  There are parts of my job I enjoy.  Helping people find books and answers to off the wall questions can be interesting, but my favorite part is storytime!  Some days I am very glad that I have storytime on Monday mornings.  Because more often than not after I drop off Katie at the sitter's I get a major case of the Mondays.  I love reading stories to the kids, hearing their answers when I ask what they think will happen next or listening to them tell me about what's going on in their lives.  Preschoolers are pretty cool!  Even when they won't sit still or are interrupting your story, it is hard to keep up the Monday blues after 45 minutes of that!  Then Tuesday comes and the blues start all over and I start thinking about what I really want to do...

If our finances allowed, I'd love to stay home and take care of Katie and our house.  Most days, I feel like I am only doing things halfway.  Work only gets half my attention because I'm thinking about Katie, Katie only gets half my attention because I'm thinking about housework, housework doesn't even get half my attention because working and Katie wear me out so much that I just don't care anymore.  I don't even know that I give Doug half the attention he needs.  We are so busy  and when we're not, we're just plain tired.  Not exactly the basis of a good relationship, right?  But, life won't always be this way, or at least that's what I tell myself on those days that I start worrying that I just can't keep up.

No comments: